Sunday, May 31, 2015

What is a Global Citizen?

Now that I've caught up on some sleep, I have had time to reflect on my time in London. We didn't just go to London to see the police and drink some cider. Policing is just one part of what we were supposed to learn. The question that we were asked to consider throughout our blogging experience is "are you a global citizen?" 

On the surface, most people would answer "yes" to that question. We live on the globe, therefore we are global citizens. I think that being a global citizen is more than just existing on the globe. Earthworms exist on the globe, so are they global citizens? In order to figure out if I am a global citizen, I decided I should figure out what a global citizen is.


The word "citizen," according to Merriam-Webster, means "a person who legally belongs to a country and has the rights and protection of that country." I believe that the key word in this definition is "belongs." Belonging means to fit in a specific environment. This person who fits into a specific environment has protection in that environment. The word "global" simply refers to the entire world. It can also mean a whole group of things. Putting these technical definitions together gives us a better idea of what a global citizen is.


A global citizen is a person who fits into a specific environment (country).That person has the protection of that environment or country. Global means that the citizen fits into an environment and that environment is part of something as a whole. What we have to realize is that there are several environments that make up the globe. Our globe is more than just the United States or North America. It is more than just people. Environments can be rain forests or deserts. In order to be a global citizen, we have to realize that there are other people and other "citizens" on this planet. We are all part of the planet. It isn't just humans. There are millions of plants, animals, and microbes that live on this planet. They are part of the globe too. Being a global citizen is more than just being a person living on Earth. It's being a part of an environment that makes up the globe. 


I think that travelling to London has made me realize that the world is bigger than just me and my little life. London has millions of people and millions of pigeons. It's easy to just get caught up in our little lives and not think about other people (or pigeons.) We have to remember that we have to think globally. 


I still haven't answered whether or not I am a global citizen, but I'm one step closer to the answer! Stay tuned to my next blog!

Here's a picture of a "global citizen" - a beautiful momma tiger at the London Zoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment